
Tonight I ran my heart out.
Just when I thought my legs would collapse,
I saw a ways ahead,
the wooden sign with letters posted:
FINISH
When I crossed the line, they told me sheepishly that
I had only run 2/3rds of the race.
Somehow a group of us made a wrong turn.
At that point, I had finished the race in my mind,
Even though the goal was to run the whole 5K.
Meanwhile, your father was walking the race with you
tied down to his belly.
Your legs were swaying to and fro and your
Squishy face was marveling at all that was around you
(lighting up with every opportunity to give a stranger a smile).
When you passed the wooden sign with letters posted:
FINISH,
They called out to you that you had won a prize:
The Youngest Runner
Even now I am amazed by your effortless reward.
To you, life is eating, sleeping, and inquisiting.
And with or without the prize
You are full.
No comments:
Post a Comment