
Last week we went shopping at Wal-Mart.
I put you in the cart, surrounded by your stuffed groceries,
And we set out to conquer the store.
I was shopping for fresh produce
While you were chewing on your stuffed tomato.
After you saw the attention I paid to the grocery list
You snatched it from my hand when my head was turned
(I underestimate you sometimes).
Eventually the list began to disintegrate,
And since I didn't have the items memorized,
I took it back to salvage the remains,
Hoping you would find something equally entertaining.
And you moved to people catching.
Your first interest was a middle-aged lady
with brown hair and light eyes.
She smiled broadly at you and commented
On your especially bright eyes.
You thanked her with a full grin and several kicks.
She went away having received your gift of love.
Next was the elderly, white-headed man.
He sought out your attention
In the deli department,
And you delighted him with wonderment
And soft cheeks.
He went away humming with a jump in his step.
Finally, we passed by the dark-skinned sisters
In the baking goods aisle.
They were deciding whether to make brownies
Or a lemon meringue pie.
And you encouraged their selection with a great gasp.
All at once you were flooded with their attention
And you thanked them enthusiastically until they giggled.
You smile indiscriminately,
sprinkling the gift of encouragement
from aisle 1 to aisle 14.
(I underestimate you sometimes).
1 comment:
this blog is freakin' awesome. how come i haven't seen it before???
Post a Comment