The decision to move to Graduate and Family Housing here on the UGA campus was motivated in part by a strong desire to live amongst the international community in hopes to show hospitality to the strangers in our midst. I feel specifically called to be living out the Gospel of Jesus Christ with my family in a place that puts me in direct contact with those who are otherwise "outside the camp." During this small child phase of life, I am kept close to home - close to beds for nap-time and pantries for snack-time. So I thought the best way to be actively involved in other womens' lives was to become their neighbors.
I am often reminded of my time living in Honduras where it is traditional to "go visiting." Going visiting was usually a half day affair and involved both a giving and receiving of food, drink, and fellowship. Here, I desire to continue in this tradition and take my little ones along. There is great joy in setting out by foot with a small loaf of bread or plate of brownies and taking a peak into someone's home and affirming, "you are not alone here in this strange land where everything is different."
A few weeks ago the Lord placed a new friend in my path. I was delivering a jacket and a plate to some neighbors around 8 o'clock at night when I saw an unfamiliar face in the distance. She was standing in the corner rocking her baby girl who seemed very close to Bro's age. I asked her what her name was, and learned she had recently moved here from Nepal. I then asked about her daughter - her name and age, how she was - and all of a sudden her eyes filled with tears and a worried expression came upon her face. "My daughter hasn't eaten anything since 10:00 am, she has a fever, and I am so worried about her. We do not have health insurance, cell phones, or a car, and my husband works long hours. I am afraid for my daughter, but have no idea what to do."
I brought them to my home, we called some friends and looked up information online, then my husband took them to the emergency room (husband, wife, and baby) and sat with them for the next three hours. They were our new gift, and the Lord was saying, "they have been made in my image - love them." After diagnosing the daughter's throat infection, picking up medicine, and returning home, we went the next day to visit and see how things were going. Through that we were able to invite them to a church picnic, and though they are traditionally Hindu, the woman wants to come to church with me this Sunday.
My little ones are waking in the distance. In conclusion, I am called to listen to, learn from, and love the strangers in my midst. And when asked why, my answer is Christ compels me....
3 comments:
the fragrance of Christ is indeed a wonderful aroma and i am so glad that God has placed you guys in your community to be just that! what an opportunity!
So encouraging and spurs me on to do the same for the people the Lord has placed in my life! Loved catching up you are so dear of a friend!
What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing. It gave me chills. That woman met Jesus because she met you. "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father."
Post a Comment