Saturday, June 23, 2012

Dr. Hubry


5 years ago we moved to Athens, Georgia so that Hubry could become a student again and work towards a doctorate in Environmental History.  It has been a long, winding journey for our family (refer to previous post FIVE for all the details), but on Monday, June 18th, Hubry defended his dissertation and the journey officially ended.  I can say, as an observer, that Hubry's dissertation was a labor of love.

We often talk about pausing to raise an Ebenezer at important moments in life instead of following the rushing current to the next thing.  Yesterday and today were our attempts to stop and set up a stone (so to speak) in order to recognize, "Thus far has the Lord helped us."  So on Friday afternoon a sweet friend came to the house and played with our kids and hers (and I'm talking 5 kids 5 and under folks) so that Hubry and I could have a slow lunch together downtown in order to remember God's real presence and help in our lives over the past 5 years.

When we returned home we declared a vacation for the rest of the day, packed up our swimming gear and picnic dinner, and spent the evening at Sandy Creek park.  It was slow and lovely, and there were no boxes to pack or chaotic messes to sort through.  And it provided even more time for me to think about Hubry's hard work and remember God's faithfulness to us.

Hubry's been the kind of student who volunteers to help with everything he can, who starts "writing clubs" on the side just for fun, who agrees to write the department newsletter (which is never fully done) and plan department parties when given the opportunity.  He's been the kind of student who pursues his fellow colleagues and genuinely concerns himself with their well-being.  He's wrestled with words and ideas and struggled 'till the end to arrange them in beautiful, smart, and captivating ways, and in my (non-academic) opinion he's done a lovely job.  He's the kind of student who recognizes hard work and seeks ways to pay others compliments.  In short, he is not at all the "proud" boy I accused him of being back in college when we were both 19 years old.  In fact, he is the most humble man I know, and I have seen his humility draw others in, and I too have been drawn in, deeply.

The amazing thing is that Hubry accomplished all of this and still managed to make it home.  He was home to take long walks with the family, home to read stories to the children, home to catch baby frogs and click bugs and snakes, home to pick periwinkles and make dandelion bouquets.  He was here to rock babies (all three of them), change diapers, brush teeth.  He was here in the middle of the night when Bro was uncomfortable or Songbird was frightened, and here to send me away for quiet moments on my own.  He was here to let me sleep in in the mornings and make delicious breakfasts.  He was here... and the kids have been blessed by his presence and patience, and I have been blessed by his sacrifices of love.

I have also watched Hubry wake early to pray with other men and study the Word.  I have walked beside him as he's grappled with tough questions and been impressed by his faithfulness in the midst of trials.  And above all these things, I have seen him deal patiently and graciously with me.

I love you, Professor Okie, and am so proud of you!

6 comments:

Elisha Boggs said...

We are so proud of Hubry as well. Can't read this without crying! Just so understand and feel this with you! Much love to the Okie bunch. We got your letter and pictures today. Thanks! There is one coming your way now!

Katy (KatySheCooks) said...

Congrats to all of you! I remember that feeling well, it was one of the proudest moments I've had of my own hubry. So glad you took a moment to raise an Ebenezer!

Lindsey G said...

So many congratulations to a patient and strong man!!

Becca said...

Congratulations!! That is just wonderful. Been thinking of you guys this week.

Kevin and Tara said...

How wonderful Kelly! I love all of the " he was here"'s - truly a grace and gift and the whole reason that our school experience will have taken us 7 years so that we could enjoy the children and so that Kevin wouldn't miss out on their little lives...what a special time for you all!

ASR said...

God be praised! He HAS been so faithful and you BOTH have been faithful through it all. Going to a new place stepping out and letting God use you in your everyday lives to minister and love on each other and your community. He as mighty things in store for you both! you have honored Him and he will continue to be with you and bless you.