Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Waiting



Since engagement, waiting has been a theme of life for Hubry and me . We have always been waiting for something in the horizon, while simultaneously seeking to live well in the present moment. When we were engaged, of course, we were waiting to be married. Shortly after we were married, we were waiting to find out about living in Honduras. Once we decided to start a family, we were waiting for God's mysterious timing. And after Hubry applied to 4 Grad schools, we waited all Spring to find out which ones he would be accepted into, and where we would end up moving for the next 5 years of life.

We are no longer waiting for these decisions, as we have been married for almost 6 years now, we enjoyed 14 beautiful months living in rural Honduras, God gave us the little Songbird on May 11th, 2007, and Hubry is well into his second year of Grad school here in Athens, Ga. Waiting has taken me in a slightly different direction since moving to Athens. I have been waiting more on daily surprises, and less on significant changes in the far off horizon.

I feel like I am often peeking around the corner at my little one, guessing what she will be like tomorrow. Right now I wait for more communication - to understand more of her toddler talk. She has so much to say, and speaks it so earnestly, all too often I am sad to respond with a blank stare. I do know, however, that when she starts using more words that I understand, they will just keep beckoning me to come with her into her little world. And I will be so happy to go!

Well, now that the Lord has blessed us with another baby on the way, I find myself once again doing the far-off waiting. Honestly, I love the anticipation, the opening of the gift, and the living with it from day to day. Each phase is full of awe and wonder (and yes, challenges, too), and each phase demands thankfulness. I have been feeling so sick lately that I haven't had much time to reflect in writing, but today the Songbird is taking a long nap, and I feel unusually rested and thoughtful, so I am thankful for the few moments of quiet. In the background Martin Hayes is playing a lovely fiddle tune, and the wind is wafting through my open window in waves. The birds are praising the Fall and our Creator, and my heart echoes along. Yes, there is much to be thankful for.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

great post kel! i'm waiting too, but there is a sweetness in learning patience for sure. thanks for calling me today. love you guys!

Heather of Troy said...

So sorry to hear you've been sick. I sure can relate! What a wonderful blessing to have a moment of feeling rested and to be able to do something you love so much...write! I love you and pray for you often!