Thursday, March 19, 2009

Resting

I miss my little Songbird!

After spending Saturday night in the Lagrange hospital with a bout of possible pre-term labor, I am confined to as little activity as possible. Anyone who reads this and knows my little Songbird knows that she is quite possibly the most active almost 2-year-old around. She is full of spirit and energy and constantly exploring and uncovering. Her to-do list is never ending, and half of the time I watch her with great anticipation, waiting to understand her task at hand. This being the case, we simply had to call on help.

We are so blessed to have such giving family and friends. After my follow-up appointment with the midwives, Hubry's mom quickly packed up her Warner Robins life to come and stay on our couch in our tiny apartment. She is here to bear the burden of daily life, and chase my little one to and fro.

This means that for now, I can't take her to the playground, or help with the garden, or any of the other daily things we are accustomed to enjoying together as a family. For now I am watching the Spring primarily from our big windows, and trying to feel purpose in the "work" of resting.

Yesterday, everyone got all dressed up to go over to the garden where a truckload of manure from a local farm was to be delivered. I told Songbird she was going on a little walk with BMa and Papa and she replied with her usual enthusiasm, "and Mama, too?" It nearly broke my heart. How do you explain to a 22-month-old that you love her so much and want to twirl her around the room, but for the sake of the baby in your belly (which is another little mystery to her) you must sit mostly still.

So, I have been trying to cuddle with her on the bed, read books, and think of other quiet activities to enjoy together. In the meantime, even though I miss my little Songbird, I am so thankful to have family around. It is a blessing to see the trust and love she has for her BMa, and to know that this, too, is a special and meaningful opportunity to develop this Grandmother / Granddaughter relationship.

4 comments:

joannabug said...

Praying for you and your little one!

We're going to be gone for a week to Pittsburgh for my defense, but when we get back, I'll call you (or call me anytime) and see how we can help out.

Take it easy--so glad your MIL is with you!

Heather of Troy said...

Oh, Kelly! this must be so hard. Just know that you are doing the best thing for your precious new baby doll. Songbird will forget all about it when she has a new buddy to play with. Love you.

Ellen said...

that is absolutely the hardest part...not being able to play with your munchkin! i'm just so thankful that you can "take it easy" from home and that you have not been confined to a hospital! love you much and call if you ever get bored or lonely. give everybody hugs and kisses for me!

Linda said...

Oh no! I'm so glad that you are home and that you have family to help you. I know that must be so hard when you're used to being able to do everything. Your blog verse is a good reminder for you right now and know that I am praying for you and your new one. It was fun to see you last week.