After driving and driving without seeing any of those clearly labeled Fall signs we were promised, we started getting a bit nervous. But we had already driven so far, and we must be so close, so just a few more exits. You know how these conversations go. We finally decided we absolutely had to get off at the next exit and turn around or we would be late getting back to the city. It so happens that just off the exit was the quaintest Post Office I have ever seen,
We came to the first Falls: Wahkeena Falls. It was beautiful, and the mossy green forest floor mixed with the dewy rain made it that much more so. But we only had time for a quick photo from inside the window
and we continued further until reaching the goal: Multnomah Falls. It was truly breathtaking and magical. We all jumped out of the car, pulled tight our rain jackets and hoods, and quickly followed the path to view the base of the Falls. Of course, it was worth the drive and the time spent taking pictures (though I'm not sure Benjamin understood why we wanted to stand in the rain to look at more falling water), though it added stress to the rest of our day.
We hurried back in the car, all glad to have seen something so grand, and I stepped on the gas to try to get us back in as timely a manner as possible. Once we got to the hotel we had to check in (and we weren't sure we would be able to check in early at all). Fortunately they were able to find two rooms side by side that we could check in early to. We had to empty out the rental car so that Hubry could return it and get back to the hotel by 12:45 in order to get ready so we could leave by 1:00. In the meantime I had to get ready, nurse the baby, make sure GranJan had propper instructions for kids naps, make sure kids had some lunch to eat, etc. At 12:45 I got a call from Hubry that he was still waiting for the final check-out paperwork at the rental car office, which was a several block walk from our hotel.
OK, I started getting a little nervous (actually, that is an understatement). I was throwing things here and there - getting little Bro's pack-n-play set up, Hubry's clothes together. He got to the room around 1:05, quickly composed himself, we flew out the door, down the elevator, grabbed the taxi waiting outside the door, and arrived to the Hilton at 1:20. Did I mention that Hubry was supposed to meet with his panel for the very first time at 1:15, that he was the one who organized the panel, that he was one of a few grad students who had received a prestigious travel grant to come to the conference, that he still had to get his powerpoint set up, and that he didn't have a chance to do a final run-through of his presentation!!! He was able to find his registration packet and make it to the presentation room by 1:22. How he managed to walk in with such calm and composure is beyond me, but the Lord worked it all out, and Hubry did a wonderful job reading his paper about the change in the late 19th century of the horticultural society in the South and how this influence / effected peach production, etc. I was very proud of him, and we both let out a huge sigh of relief when it was over!
4 comments:
wow. sounds like a busy day for you all! the pics of the Falls are great--weren't they beautiful?
OK I just briefly looked through all of your pictures and wow amazing! So glad you were able to put those rain slickers to use! LOVE the pictures of Songbird and Bro and you and your hubby. made me smile. miss you!
hahaha!! sounds like one of my college adventures. I think I was actually still reading for my SIP 5 minutes before I presented it for my professors. sometimes (but not always), you're able to pack it all in and grin afterwards! beautiful pictures of ya'll with the waterfalls. Have you heard Grandma West talk about Multnomah Falls before?
glad you guys had a good trip and quite an adventure as well. sorry we weren't able to see you while you were in the area. hopefully someday we will make a visit back to TN and get to see you guys. i'll try to give you a call sometime soon.
Post a Comment