Friday, August 26, 2011

I have been reveling in tiny. Tiny hands, lips, grunts. Today my tiny Raindrop, who three weeks ago was born 7 pounds, weighed in at 8 pounds 8 ounces. She wears the extra pound and a half on her cheeks, her double chin, and her belly. But her legs are still like little toothpicks. I see another baby a few months older and am amazed at how quickly they plump up and mature. I want to slow things down every way I can and enjoy each moment. But then I see my older children and am thankful that time keeps moving along. If things always stayed the same, I wouldn't get to rejoice in the "now" I see in them.

I love watching Songbird and Reed love on their little sister - especially the way they sing her "Jesus Loves Me" when she's inconsolable (of course, sometimes they scream at her to stop screaming, which isn't quite as endearing). I'm surprised at how easy the transition has been for Songbird. She has grown so beautiful and mature recently, and having a new baby around has only heightened her glow. She is so interested in the baby and loves having a new client for her fashion consultant aspirations. 4 is such an age of growth and learning. She wants to learn to read, write, draw, plant seeds, breastfeed (I've told her that she needs to get married first for this one), and on and on. And, most beautiful of all is the deepening of her faith. Today before rest time we were talking about how some people do not believe in Jesus, and after reflecting on this a moment she said, "But you and Papa believe in Jesus. I believe in Jesus, too." Even her prayers confirm this - "Lord help me to obey my Mama and honor you." Wow. Of course, she is still 4 and has ongoing self-control issues, but all-in-all she is a deep joy to my soul.

BRO has been in a more challenging stage as of late. I don't know how much comes from having a new little sister around and how much comes from being near 2.5 years-old. In general it has been a toddler coming of age for him - discovering his will and learning how to voice it. He has been perfecting his wrinkled-nose "no" glare. This response usually comes when I ask him to do or not to do something while I'm nursing Eliza (and let's be honest, when am I not nursing Eliza these days?). These are the times I rely on God's holding grace - that BRO will not be ruined by a few months without consistent discipline and training. I know he loves his new sister and is also interested in her in his own way, but the lack of touch and physical affection has been hard for him. When he hears the front door open in the evening when Papa comes home (and come to think of it it's an extremely loud door), he jumps up and goes running, "Papa, Papa, Papa." Within a few minutes of his arrival I've heard the phrases, "help me," and "hold me" at least three times each. He loves his Papa, and I am so thankful that his Papa loves him so much, too!

In general I've just been feeling super thankful. Thankful to be living where we can walk everywhere and catch the bus with ease. Thankful for such sweet friendships and our church. Thankful for my neighbors who have become my friends. Thankful for this time when Hubry's been in Grad School where we have less money but so much more time and flexibility. So thankful for my dear Hubry and his willingness to help and be involved with everything. And thankful for our family - even with all the wrinkled-nose "no" glares and lack of self-control...

4 comments:

Ellen said...

so beautiful kelly! your words resonate so much with me...i just want to hold onto all the precious baby moments with miles because i know now how fast it will go by and how soon they will be independent. SO much happens between 2 and 3. oh it is a struggle to know how to shepherd when your hands are not free...it seems my children always needed to go potty when i was nursing. this season will soon be over though and eliza will be nearly weaned! i know how to pray for you as you hold onto grace. love you sweet sister!

Becca said...

Oh Kelly, I love reading your thoughts. :) I feel like I have this vivid picture of your children at a little point in time, and that is beautiful. :)

Anonymous said...

Loved catching up on your blog... Congrats on Little Eliza! We're about to relate to having three very soon and enjoyed reading about your experiences so far.:)

linda said...

This is beautiful Kelly. It is all so familiar to me right now too, wanting to slow things down but also rejoicing in the now. I love getting a little picture of your days.