Born August 6th, 2011 @ 7:50
7 lbs. 1 oz.
20 inches long
Dearest little Raindrop,
We wanted to take a few moments to remember how you came into this outside-the-womb world... Last Saturday morning we ran around the city doing this and that - breakfast at Big City Bread, Helix for a pair of shorts for BRO, and then to Lowes for some new stepping stones (since one of the old ones broke, slicing Papa's foot). We came home around 12:00 and began digging and planting the new stepping stones. Songbird and BRO were enthusiastic helpers, and around 1:00 we took a break to talk to GGMa Clarkson on the phone. She had been in the hospital for over 6 weeks and seemed to take a turn for the worse. Knowing this, we called to bring cheer and encouragement. Your siblings sang her some hearty renditions of Lily of the Valley and Jesus Loves Me, and she listened and even responded as well as she could. We all told her how much we loved her, and then we said good-bye and got ready for naps.
The house was quiet as Songbird and BRO were sleeping peacefully. I sat on the couch reading Jane Eyre while Papa worked on the laptop nearby. Around 2:30 I looked at the clock and started tracking my contractions (a daily past time over the past few weeks). They were coming right at 10 minutes apart - nothing unusual. I started praying, Lord, please make it very clear to me when I am in labor and give me plenty of time to get to the hospital. This had been a constant anxiety and cause for prayer as we almost didn't make it in time with BRO.
At 3:30 I noticed that the contractions seemed to be coming closer together - more like every 4-6 minutes apart. After about an hour of sitting very still on the couch, the contractions continued to painlessly come every 4-6 minutes. I decided to get up and start packing our things for the hospital, still praying the Lord would guide and grant wisdom. Finally I told your Papa we should start making arrangements to go to the hospital. All I knew was that I'd rather go and not be in labor than wait until I felt some pain and deliver you in the house. Our friend Missy was able to come right over and stay with Songbird and BRO, and we left the house around 4:30 to head over to the hospital.
We had such a leisurely drive to the hospital. We parked the car together, walked in, checked in, went to the labor and delivery hall, and were ushered to a room to wait for the midwife. I was still having contraction about 5 minutes apart, still not feeling any sort of pain, and still halfway thinking we would turn right around and go back home.
Around 5:00 the midwife came in to check my cervix and confirmed that I was 5-6 cm dilated and fully effaced. "You are in labor!" With that decided, they took us to the room where I was to labor, and the nurse readied my IV and ordered the first round of antibiotics (as I was strep B positive). Hubry and I were feeling so thankful that we had come to the hospital when we did. Just before 6:00 our dear friend came to bring us some dinner, as it had totally slipped our mind to pack any sort of snacks or food with us. I am so thankful as we had no idea how long things would last, and I wanted your Papa to be at full strength when it was time for you to come. By 6:00 the antibiotic was finished and they were able to take out the IV and untangled me from the machines. The midwife suggested I might like to take a warm bath, and the idea sounded wonderful to me. I still was not experiencing any pain, though I could tell the contractions were getting much stronger.
The next hour I labored in the tub and it was so peaceful and beautiful. Your Papa and I sat alone in the bathroom, and we talked quietly about this and that, praying as we went, knowing that much strength was needed for the moments to come. All of a sudden, maybe around 7:15 or so, my belly leaped (literally) in unison with a loud pop. It was the strangest sensation, and I could immediately feel a flood of achy cramps descend upon my lower back and belly. I called to the nurse that maybe my water just broke, and she called for the midwife to come. She said it sounded like my water broke, and it was probably about time to get out of the tub and move to the bed.
By 7:20 I was situated on the bed with your strong Papa by my side. The contractions were growing in intensity and definitely painful at this point, though they were strangely still spaced about 4 minutes apart. In between the contractions we were still able to talk and enjoy the time, though my full concentration was needed to make it through each rise and fall. Then, around 7:35, I began to feel you move downwards through the birth canal, and that's when the craziness began. The next 20 minutes or so were all out body versus mind (and body definitely had the upper hand). Everything felt utterly out of control - pain, pressure, breathing, pushing, grunting, instructions, Papa's sweet encouragement that he could see your head and that your hair was dark, and then suddenly with every last ounce of energy, strength, force, we pushed you out from womb to world. And you were perfectly squishy and red - long and lean. You were plopped onto my belly - curled up and secure. Papa and I were amazed to finally meet you, and so thankful for your life. And we laid like that for an hour or so - basking in the newness (as I tried to keep my mind off of being stitched up). It really was amazing how peacefully you waited on my chest -- probably 15 minutes of just being still, listening to my heartbeat, I guess.
We had to stay in the hospital for 48 hours since I was able to get the second round of antibiotics, but it was so nice to know that BMa and Daddy O were at home with your sister and brother. Knowing they were well cared for freed us to simply enjoy getting to know you. For the next day we talked and prayed about your name - what did you look like, what seemed natural to call you, what Scripture did we want to bless you with? We finally decided (though it was quite a back and forth process), and now you are our little Raindrop (but I'll let your Papa talk more about that)...
This week has been such a sweet time of getting to know you. You are so sleepy and hungry and calm... and you are one well-loved little sister. We are enjoying doting on you as a family, and are so thankful that you've come to join us as we journey to Christ together. Blessings little Raindrop.
Two days ago we got the call that GGMa Clarkson had passed away. We had been waiting for this, as she had grown weak, and I think was tired of the hospital and content with her 93 blessed years of life. We were so thankful to have known her and been able to live with her for a while, and even more thankful that you came before she passed and that she was able to see your picture and know that you were her little namesake.
7 comments:
Such good memories, what a sweet little raindrop you have! Remembering your GGMa too, so blessed to have met her!
Sending love to you all.
beautiful kelly! can't wait to meet sweet sweet raindrop. love to you all:)
Kelly! I absolutely CANNOT wait to meet this new little one and to give you a proper congratulatory hug. We'll be home late tomorrow night, so I'll get in touch maybe Sunday? Beautiful birth story :)
so sweet-- i will think of gma when i hear about raindrop.
What a beautiful account of her journey to be born, and the start of her story. She's a blessed little girl being born into such love. Good job mama. Enjoy these precious days.
congrats! I go out of town and come back and get to read about little raindrop :)
love this post! so thankful to God for her health! and to think she was running small..lol 7 pounds!
Love reading your story little Raindrop! So sorry to hear about GMa Clarkson. She was such a sweet lady. Love you all! Annaliese, Chad, and Lyla
Post a Comment