Once again your foot stretches far into my right abdomen
and I am amazed at its density and force.
There is absolutely no denying that life is growing
bigger and stronger deep within my womb,
And yet this life - your life - is still so mysterious.
I place my hand on belly and push back - force against force,
but this power struggle is quickly interrupted
By sister's peeking through the door.
"Mama," she says. "I just want to give you and the baby one more kiss."
With that I pause and look her over long and hard.
The baby. Coming from sister who four years ago was just that -
the baby in my womb. The surprise, the mystery.
Now she is big-girl, wide-eyed, Mama's little helper,
who kisses once, twice, three times as if to say,
"We are family. We welcome you into this place together."
Then there is brother, who is sleeping soft and dreaming safe,
who two years past was equal mystery.
And with both I can remember the joy and beauty
of that very moment of unveiling - waiting turned to flesh -
Dark eyes, fuzzy dark hair, pink skin, and robust whale.
And then there is you. My third-born, my second daughter.
I have loved you and waited on you even as your foot is oft to weigh on me.
As days turn one after the other and mystery gives way to marvelous birth,
you are the gift of a new dawn, and I long to see your face
in the full light of day.
2 comments:
O.M.G.!!! That is beautiful! Can I post this to my blog?-- (giving you full credit of course!)
I love it! It fully summarizes that feeling of love and anticipation that a mom feels when the time is close..and that longing and tinge of sadness I feel now that we may be done.
kelly!!!! i can't believe i found your blog after so long! i remember you starting it and i was in teh midst of moving ...anywho...can i link it from my blog so i can check often?? you are pregnant!!! wow! miss you and your sweet family!! clare...
Post a Comment