Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Going to the Doctor

Today we took the kids in for a double doctor's appointment. It was their two-year and two-month appointments. Just to keep the theme consistent, the appointment lasted for two hours. We left the office with two very sleepy kids who had received 5 vaccinations between them, and a follow-up appointment with a cardiologist because of a suspicious heart murmur.

After prepping Songbird all morning about how we were going to the doctor, he was our friend, he was going to look in our ears and mouth, etc., etc. - she was incredibly composed. She even asked him to please look in her ears and opened her mouth wide. She laid down when he asked her to and helped measure her own head. The first time he left the room she asked, "more doctor?" This is definitely an improvement from our last office visit!

She is absolutely growing like a weed. She measured 37 inches today and weighed 27 pounds, 9 oz. I write this mainly so I will remember. When it was time for her to get her finger pricked she didn't even cry or flinch - she sat so still watching the "finger-paint." Then she laid down and got her shot - crying very briefly, but easily soothed by the thought of an awaiting "treat." She was actually more upset by little Brother's shots than her own, which was very touching.

Bro was 10 pounds 15 oz. and 23 inches long - also growing like a weed. Every time I take an infant in to get shots I ask my hubry if maybe we can reconsider our vaccination philosophy. It is such a painful thing for a mother to watch her little one turning purple because he's been screaming so much. Tom reminds me that it's better to get a shot than a virus.

We are blessed to have such a wonderful doctor who takes so long with us and our children. He must have been in the room with us for an hour talking about different sleeping and eating issues. He is very thorough and also very kind. We are so thankful.

Also, the heart murmur I mentioned belongs to Songbird. I knew something must have been a little off when he spent so much time listening to her heart in so many different places. No one has ever noticed a murmur with her before, so he wants to send us to s specialist. There is a big chance that it's a normal murmur, so we aren't too concerned about it at this point.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

sorry i missed your call...hope you figured out the tylenol dose? i agree with tom, vaccine is better than virus. many, many people have irregular heartbeats and murmurs (myself included), but it is always good to be thorough when possible. what a long morning it must have been!

Linda said...

They found a murmur in Naya just before we were about to be discharged to take her home from the hospital for the first time. I was really scared at first but didn't realize that they are very common and often go away eventually. And I know exactly what you mean about vaccines, such a tricky issue. I'll keep you in my prayers.