Friday, February 3, 2012

Longing

It has been difficult keeping track of the days, weeks, and months since Raindrop has been born. Part of this timelessness is natural after the birth of a baby, I think. But part of it is different - unnatural.

Yesterday Raindrop and I spent the morning back at the apartment packing while the other kids were at Mothers' Morning Out. I honestly don't know how I could have packed up the apartment in one short week with three Littles underfoot, so I am thankful for this one morning a week to attack it. When I entered the apartment and laid eyes on the oven fan, I was overcome with emotion - how many times had I rocked and swayed with Raindrop in that very kitchen spot just a few short months ago. And now, there she was looking up at me agiggle and aglow - almost 6 months old.

Hubry brought the kids back to the apartment after school and stayed to Daddy through the lunch hour - all to give me the gift of 30 minutes alone in the woods. I love the woods, the lake, and the quiet and still of being alone with my Maker. I love the feeling of my body gliding over roots, around curves, and balancing on the wooden bridge. I love listening to the birds, the squirrels chomping through the leaves, and the wind rustling things about me. And...I love the 70's! Not the decade in time, but the outside temperature. And that's when it occurred to me. There was no longing.

Usually the Winter follows the Fall, and as I struggle to zip, button, cuddle, warm yet another child another day it slowly creeps in. At first the Winter is new and exciting with all its possibilities - fires, hot drinks, house shoes and down coats. But it doesn't take long before this Southern girl gets tired of being cold and the longing takes hold and strikes at my heart - igniting that burning desire for things to bud and blossom.

But this year it is only February 3rd, and things are already budding and blossoming. The kids are already playing outside barefoot, and I am running through the woods in shorts and a t-shirt getting rosy-cheeked - and it's only February 3rd. This year there was no time for longing, and no time for distinguishing between the seasons. If this is February, who knows what March will bring. Maybe another snowstorm?

3 comments:

Becca said...

It was in the 50s up here again... We had a snowstorm a week or two ago with several inches, and then it all melted within days. It seems like the winter is heaving and hoeing to get over some hump and stick around, but the warm weather always comes back. Definitely unnatural. (but not unenjoyable!) Glad you had a good run :)

Ellen said...

SO thankful for the weather and for you dear sister. loved our few days with all our little people all together!

linda said...

We spent yesterday at the Nature Center and it was amazing to feel Spring in February! I miss you Kelly and I'm so sorry I didn't get to see you and meet sweet Raindrop this last time.