Monday, January 12, 2009

A Sandy Christmas: Edisto Beach, SC (Part Two)


The house we stayed in was huge - 5 queen-sized bedrooms with 4 bathrooms, a beautiful kitchen, and a spacious dining / living / reading / singing / gaming / toddling / napping / movie-watching room. It was so relaxing to be able to spread out and find both privacy with our individual families and intimacy with the larger family all under one roof.

Being both a pregnant woman and a general food appreciator, one of my favorite things about our week together was mealtime. Hubry is one of four children (as am I), and since we had 5 days together we divided the cooking responsibilities evenly - every family group took one day to do all of the food preparations. We ate a wonderful variety of delicious food ranging from chili, to baked zitti, to roasted chicken, to make-your-own pizza, to blueberry scones, and I better stop the list before I get hungry again.

Not only do I love to eat delicious food, but I love the atmosphere created when a family sits down to a meal together. And I love how the laid-back pace of holidays and vacations encourage everyone to linger around the table well beyond the filling point. Maybe this is why I look forward to tea and dessert so much. Because it brings people back to the table and makes us slow down long enough to listen and enter into one another's lives.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

and the grazing was wonderful too, especially the chex mix!!